Dealing with Police

  • Always give your correct name, date of birth (age) and address.
  • Do not go with the Police unless you have been arrested.
  • Simply ask “Am I free to go?”
  • Do not give a verbal or written statement to the Police… do not say anything.
  • If you have been arrested, ask to speak with a lawyer.
  • If a friend or family member is being spoken to by Police or being arrested, do not interfere.

Searched by Police

  • Police can only search you, your bag or your car if:
    • you agree or;
    • they arrest you or;
    • they have a search warrant or;
    • they believe that you have drugs or offensive weapons on you.
  • Police can only search your house if:
    • you agree or;
    • they have a search warrant to search it or;
    • they believe that there are drugs, weapons or explosives in your house.

Stopped by Police

  • Police can stop you if you are driving on suspicion of drinking and driving. You must:
    • take a breath screening test if asked and;
    • if you fail or refuse they can ask you to go with them to the police station for an evidential test and;
    • if you do not go with them, you can be arrested and;
    • you can speak with a lawyer before you take the evidential breath or blood test.
  • Police can take you home if you are drunk or “out of it”. If this is not an option, they can take you to a detox centre or temporary shelter, and if no one can take you, the Police can hold you for up to 12 hours until you are able to look after yourself.


  • If you have never been in trouble with the Police before and you are charged with a fairly minor charge, the Police may consider diversion for you.
  • Diversion is a scheme run by the New Zealand Police usually for first offenders with fairly minor charges. You enter a plea of guilty, meet with the Police and sign a contract with the Police to either:
    • write an apology letter to the victim and/or;
    • pay a donation to a charitable organisation and/or;
    • carry out community work for a registered organisation and/or;
    • complete a defensive driving course (if the offence is driving related) and/or;
    • pay reparation (out of pocket loss by victim) IN FULL.

If completed successfully, the charge is withdrawn and no conviction is entered in your name.

Arrested by Police

  • If you are arrested:
    • you must give your name, address, date and place of birth and;
    • allow fingerprints and photo to be taken of you and;
    • in some cases police may take blood samples or samples from your mouth for DNA analysis.
    • You have the right to talk to a lawyer (there will be a list of lawyers you can speak to free of charge and in private).
    • You can ask if you can be released on bail (Police bail). It is not automatic, if it is ok then you will be given a date to appear in court on the summons form.
    • If the charge is considered too serious, or Police policy does not allow you to be given Police bail you will be held by Police at the station to appear in court at the earliest opportunity. If this is a weekday, you will likely appear in court the following day. If it is a Saturday or Sunday, you will appear on Monday.

Appearing in Court

  • When you appear in court ask to speak with a duty solicitor.
  • A duty solicitor is a lawyer provided to you free of charge who will arrange take “instructions” from you and make an application to get you bailed.
  • If it is considered too serious, you may get a legal aid lawyer assigned to assist you to get bail.
  • You may see a legal aid support officer who will assist you to apply for legal aid.
  • If you qualify, the Ministry of Justice will write and let you know who your lawyer is and give you their contact details.
  • Make contact with your lawyer as soon as you are able.

Legal Aid

  • If you get legal aid, you may be required to pay some of the lawyer’s fees back to the Ministry of Justice or;
  • you may be given an outright grant with no repayment.
  • You have a choice of legal aid lawyer if your charge carries a maximum term of imprisonment of over 10 years and you elect trial by jury, or the charge has been laid “indictably”.
  • You do not have a choice of legal aid lawyer if your charge carries a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years or less.

Private Lawyer

  • You can choose any lawyer to represent you. At Liberty Law Barristers we have lawyers available to attend to assist on ANY criminal matter.

The Possible Outcomes

  • Diversion;
  • Withdrawal of charge;
  • Dismissal of charge;
  • Sentencing which can include:
    • a fine
    • community work
    • supervision by a probation officer (can include drug and alcohol counselling or anger management)
    • prison